See also: Sexually Transmitted Infections and Herpes and HIV
Fact Sheets About Herpes
- Herpes (American Sexual Health Association)
- Genital Herpes (Centers for Disease Control and Prevention – CDC) and Spanish version
- Incidence, Prevalence, and Costs of Sexually Transmitted Infections in the U.S. (CDC)
Guidelines and Statistics
- Sexually Transmitted Diseases Treatment Guidelines, 2015 (June 2015, Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report)
- 2014 Sexually Transmitted Diseases Surveillance (Centers for Disease Control and Protection [CDC] Division of STD Prevention) – This report includes detailed data on chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, and other sexually transmitted infections, with breakdowns for race/ethnicity, gender, age, and risk group.
- Guidelines for the Prevention and Treatment of Opportunistic Infections in HIV-Infected Adults and Adolescents (CDC, National Institutes of Health, and HIV Medicine Association of the Infectious Diseases Society of America) The guidelines for herpes simplex virus appear in Section O.
- Genital Herpes Statistics (CDC) This includes links to a number of surveillance data reports.
Selected Recent Articles
- Acyclovir-resistant herpes simplex cases spike in HIV-positive communities. (September 2015, Beta Blog)
- Herpes Virus Tied to Angina Risk, Study Suggests. (June 2015, WebMD)
- Scientists reveal how herpes virus hijacks and hides in our cells. (May 2015, Medical News Today)
- How herpes and other dormant viruses ‘reactivate’ explained in new study. (June 2014, Medical News Today)
- Experimental Drug Shows Promise for Genital Herpes. (January 2014, WebMD)
- U.S. Teens More Vulnerable to Genital Herpes: Study. (October 2013, WebMD)
- Nanoparticle lung vaccine protects against HIV, herpes. (September 2013, Medical News Today)
- Experimental drug tackles both HIV and genital herpes. (July 2013, Medical News Today)
- Discovery May One Day Lead to Herpes Vaccine. (May 2013, WebMD)
- Cold Sores Could Lead To Increased Cognitive Problems. (March 2013, Medical News Today)
- Safety of Shingles Vaccine Confirmed. (April 2012, Medical News Today)